Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hop in the Dog Pool



Sometimes I wish I was a dog. Especially today.

I stopped by the dog run at Chelsea Waterside Park on 22nd street and 11th Avenue.

While I was sweating in the heat, the dogs here were cooling off in their pool.

The run not only has a pool, but a nice hilly play area with large rocks and cement steps.

Chris Gordon's mixed breed dog, Max, hopped in and out of the pool. A Chelsea resident, Gordon said she brings her dog here at least three times a week.

According to a sign on the gate, the dog run is cleaned twice a day and is closed for the cleaning from 8 a.m to 9 a.m. and from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

One problem I found with the run is that all dogs share the space, there isn't a separated area just for smaller dogs.

A hose placed in the pool constantly keeps it filled with water. The pool overflows and water flows down a shallow stream that dogs can drink from, and then falls into the drain.

1 comment:

featherpen said...

This is a feeling I have most summer afternoons with respect to the Bronx Zoo sea lion pool :)